The Collective’s mission is to connect, inspire and engage. It is recognised that the quest for greater environmental responsibility and sustainability is a huge challenge. Collaboration is essential to accelerate the pace of change.
Sustainability is ultimately about balancing three key factors – the environment; society; and the economy. Each themed topic will be addressed through the lens of three distinct aspects: Products, Places, People. There is so much ‘green wash’. Some companies seek to hide behind marketing words – we must ‘call this out’ and highlight the importance of environmental responsibility.
We also encourage people to describe difficulties and hurdles. This will potentially lead to further research, potentially public sector funded, to move the next level of sustainability.
Founder, Women In Office Design & Projects Director, K2 Space
Sustainability & Circular Economy Manager, WOD
Design Director, Oktra
UK Collective Members
Senior Project Manager, JLL
Sustainability Director, Perkins&Will
Design Sustainability Director, Gensler
Workplace Design Manager, Abrn
Design Director, MF Studio & Director at BIID
Owner Director, White Red Architects
Designer, tp bennett
Designer, BDP architects
Director, M Moser
Ana Rita Martins,
Project Director, John Robertson Architects
Design Director/B Corp Lead, MCM
Director & Founder, align interior architecture and design
Associate, MAA architects
Owner & Director, Salt and Pegram
Associate Technical Designer, Unispace
Partner, Knight Frank
Director of Sustainability, The Furniture Practice
Sustainability Lead, MCM
Head of Sustainability, JPA Workspaces
Senior Associate, HLW
Associate, Sheppard Robson
Founder, DouglasJane Studio
Director – Head of ESG, BDG
Director – Freeman Studio & Former President – British Institute of Interior Design
The Story So Far...
SDC UK hosts the “Sustainable Design Forum”; an interactive event for workplace designers held in Clerkenwell to learn and hear from manufacturers and suppliers about efforts towards greater sustainability, in addition to the “SDC Awards for Sustainability” which is designed to champion ‘best practice’ and highlight innovations.
The Sustainable Design Collective’s mission is to work collaboratively to share knowledge and ‘best practice’ to inspire and influence the workplace design sector to effect change and implement solutions which make a positive contribution to the wellbeing of people and the planet.
• SDC members will work collaboratively in the spirit of non-competition to share knowledge, educate, and inform.
• SDC members will utilise their professional influence to help effect positive change within the workplace design community.
• SDC members are focussed on highlighting and championing new developments and ‘best practice’.
• SDC members expect manufacturers and product suppliers to be open and transparent. Members will question and interrogate any potentially overstated or misleading claims relating to positive environmental impact.
• An ambition is to identify positive opportunities and possible initiatives for change. SDC will aim to work collaboratively with other industry groups and associations to help accelerate the pace of change.
• SDC members support the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals and aim to work within this framework.
Want to become an SDC member?
We are always on the lookout for new members for both our UK and India collectives. If you’re interested, then we’d love to hear from you.